Additional flexibility in config

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Hi,

Is the remote file read each time the app is started ? If i remember correctly, adrotar fetches the remote file only first time ?

Also is it possible to enable config to be able to specify for eg Ad Unit ID ? I need to figure out the best a way to toggle ad unit to test adcenter ePCM across various types.

Thanks in advance.

Hermit

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The remote file is read every time indeed. When you cache it forever like in the wp7adrotator you immediately loose flexibility and predictability. Every client could have different config files, depending on when they first launched it.

I saw that the new version for wp7adrotator is going to the direction of remote configuration of Ad Unit ID. But that's something I'm currently holding off. At least that was primarily because I couldn't think of a good reason to do this. Testing between different AdTypes could be a good reason. However most of these things should be configured during development. Changing for example the ApplicationID still doesn't make sense I think.

Though maybe I'm missing reasons, if there are really good reasons I will consider adding these kind of features.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Mark I understand your hesitation. No point adding stuff without the need and i would understand (and work my way around it some how). I agree it doesn't make sense changing application id / publisher id etc. However Ad Unit ID is bound to what category of ads are shown.  

Here's a fresh example from pubcenter. Last month, revenue from for single Ad Unit ID. I need to work out what is the best ad unit category by trying different App IDs. I can also modify it across all apps so there is already a way for me to test (so dont feel obliged)

Market Impressions Revenue ePCM
United States 37,948 23.05 0.61
Italy 24,558 0.00 0.00
Germany 66,842 2.93 0.04