Edge Network UI Lockup

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Hey Mark,

I have noticed something quite strange lately. I have been testing my app with by setting the network to Edge in the phone's cellular settings and I see that that with this on, the UI locks up until an ad is shown. This can sometimes be around 2-3 seconds and once the Advert is displayed the UI responds to input again etc.

Not sure if you have seen anything like this before? I know that the AdMob control has issues, but this is with AdDuplex and MobFox.

Regards,

Mauro

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Hi Mauro,

This is interesting to read. I know about AdMob, but AdDuplex and MobFox are new to me. Have you tried testing the AdDuplex and MobFox seperately without UnifiedAd it is? Wondering if it is caused by UnifiedAd.

Best,

Mark Monster

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Hey Mark,

Good idea...will try them out separately and see what happens :)

Regards,
Mauro 

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Hey Mark,

I done some testing with controls by themselves and I cant seem to get that error. Also I noticed that the using the individual controls by themselves improves my pages load times as well as making any animations that I have much smoother. Do you know why this is?

I was busy going through the code for WPUnifiedAd, and I'm no where near familiar with it at all, but I was just thinking that there may be some opportunities for optimization? Like I said I'm no where familiar with the code so I may be wrong :)

Regards,
Mauro 

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hi Mauro,

Using UnifiedAd comes of course with a small penalty, first of all there are multiple adproviders that could be loaded, but there's more, like the rotation logic, the remote configuration. If you have some contributions you want to make for optimization please do so.

It's an open source project and contributions by others makes it even a more community like project.

Best,

Mark Monster