Microsoft Advertising Crash

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I'm occasionally getting crashes which have been tracked down to the PubCenter add-in:

NullReferenceException
   at Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile.Shared.WebRequestWrapper.WebRespCallback(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.Browser.ClientHttpWebRequest.<>c__DisplayClassa.<InvokeGetResponseCallback>b__8(Object state2)
   at System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadPool.WorkItem.doWork(Object o)
   at System.Threading.Timer.ring()

I've found an article that suggests a workaround until Microsoft fix it:

http://vevix.tumblr.com/post/11685105294/microsoft-advertising-crash

Would it be possible for the unified ad control to hook into the events that the blog mentions?

Thanks.

Philip

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Thanks Philip,

I will look into this workaround. Sounds like something that's doable for the time-being. Further more, were you able to reproduce this in test-mode?

Best,

Mark Monster

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I was able to reproduce it. Just before the add completely loaded (visually) I hit the start-button, then continue with the back-button to get back to the application. The fix is not only fixing the PubCenter problem, but now also enables that the a new ad is requested upon getting back to the page.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Just found this in a crash stacktrace on AppHub now. Is this workaround in the released 0.5 version?

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Yes the workaround is implemented in v0.5.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Sweet. One less stacktrace on AppHub to worry about