No Geo location?

May 30, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Is there no way to set the geolocation on the ad control?

That is the only thing missing from my old code and I will have three apps using the control!

I have been watching the fill rates on my beta testers and the rate has already dropped near zero.  This is awesome.  Right now with only PubCenter my three apps average about 45% fill.

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Hi Jason,

There is no real Geo Location in the sense that I didn't want to use the official location information from the GPS. However there is something you can do. You can set the ProvideCountry property of the AdControl to either No, FromCulture or Yes. FromCulture is the default!

No - No country is set

Yes - You have to set the Country property of the AdControl to the two-letter countrycode manually.

FromCulture - Will use the CurrentCulture to determine the Country-Code and set it to the countrycode in the AdControl implementation.

Hope this helps,

Mark Monster

May 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Hi Mark,

Curious why you didn't want to add a GeoWatcher to get the location?  You only have to run it once every 10-15 times the app is run.  I cache mine for 90 days.  It does help the eCPM of some ad providers.

Thanks,

Jason

Coordinator
May 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The main reason is privacy. When your application doesn't have anything to do with locations at all it's a bit strange that your app requires GPS access. Maybe there will be an plugin option to enable this feature in the future, with a separate assembly.

Best,

Mark Monster

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I'd like to see an option to provide geolocation to the ad service. I use this in several of my apps already and Microsoft's Ad Control supports Longitude/Latitude for this. It just means we as developers have to follow the Certification guidelines by providing an opt-in prompt to the user on first use, provide a switch in settings that allows them to change the option, and have a privacy policy which explains your use of location data (to improve ads) and how it can be disabled by the user.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Hi Mark,

When can we expect to get geo location option for ads. This may definitely help in improving eCPM for apps which require location services.

Thanks
Pavan
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Hi Pavan,

If you really want to have Geo Location, you can create the adproviders yourself. Just take a look at the source code, it's not that difficult. Not every Ad Provider allows LongLat Geo coding. Most of the time providing a country-code is all you can do. Making use of the users culture settings is a good alternative that doesn't require GPS access.

Best,

Mark Monster