AdMob control causes UI thread delays

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I have some UI intensive apps and I notice that the AdMob control causes the UI thread to hang briefly during ad loads.  After testing I now realise this is the AdMob BannerAd control not your control but I was wondering if you or anyone else has any ideas on how the AdMobAdProvider could be modified to mask this issue from our apps?

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The AdMob control is known for UI Thread hangs. I've done a little bit of investigation of the abilities to fix it by analyzing the reflected code, however that would be a major amount of work. Besides I doubt if that's allowed by Google.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM
I was afraid of that.

I am very new to Silverlight and I was hopeful that someone with better skills might know of some way that the AdMobAdProvider class could force the AdBanner control to work on a different thread and then use the Dispatcher methods to return it back onto the UI thread.

Oh well I will just avoid AdMob on UI intensive apps for now.

Thanks for the speedy reply and for a great control. I had tried a few multi ad controls but was not happy with then and even considered trying to build one myself, but then I found yours and I really like the implementation.

Thanks again.

Bevan